The Ohio Artist Registry (OAR) is an exciting opportunity for artists to share their work, connect with the creative community, and establish an online presence—all on a free, virtual platform! The OAR encourages artists working in all art forms, throughout Ohio and beyond, to create a profile, which allows them to better promote themselves and their work. Being listed in the OAR provides artists with new opportunities to share their work with clients, galleries, patrons, and audiences. For more information, contact Kathy Signorino, artist programs director, at email@example.com or 614-728-6140.
Yan SunProfessor of Art Muskingum UniversityArt Department
Zanesville Ohio 43701 United Statespostal
- Ruth Dorsey Neptune Distinguished Professor of Fine Arts, Muskingum University.
- Signature artist of Oil Painters of America (OPA)
- Signature artist of American Society of Marine Artists (ASMA)
- Artist of the 2022 Governor’s Awards for the Arts, Ohio Arts Council
Yan Sun is Distinguished Professor of Art, Chair of Art Department, and Director of Gallery at Muskingum University. He received M.F.A. degree in painting and drawing from Texas A&M University-Commerce.
Yan Sun is the recipient of The William Oxley Thompson Award for Excellence in Teaching (2001) and The William Rainey Harper Award for Outstanding Scholarship (2008) of Muskingum University.
To recognize the contributions of Yan Sun to the museum and its community, the Zanesville Museum of Art named its diverse cultures gallery “Yan Sun Diverse Cultures Gallery” in 2008. (2008-present.)
Cambridge, Ohio, Mayor Tom Orr presented the Key to the City to Yan Sun for his time and artistic efforts on behalf of the city’s residents, civic groups and other organizations. 2010
Hayden Museum of American Art published Yan Sun’s paintings in books: “Life ∙Time ∙ Space – Yan Sun’ Paintings” in 2004 and “Yan Sun – Cross Culture ∙ Cross Century” in 2007.
Yan Sun’s paintings are shown in solo exhibitions in art centers, galleries, as well as museums such as Hayden Museum of American Art, Zanesville Museum of Art, Canton Museum of Art, and Museum of East Texas.
Yan Sun’s paintings are collected by museums and organizations, including
- Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, Oklahoma City, OK
- Hayden Museum of American Art, Paris, TX
- Museum of East Texas, Lufkin, TX
- Canton Art Museum, Canton, OH
- Franklin Museum, New Athens, OH
- Muskingum County Communication Foundation, Zanesville, OH
- Muskingum University
- Zanesville Museum of Art, Zanesville, OH
- La Jolla Village Art Foundation, La Jolla, CA
- Tuscarawas County Center for Arts, New Philadelphia, OH
- There are also many private collections of his paintings.
As a research-oriented artist, Yan Sun works on paintings that encompass a wide range of art styles and subject matter, ranging from expressive to trompe l’oeil, and from landscape to portraiture. It’s all about variety in his artistic exploration.
“As the products of inspiration between mind and nature, my artworks are composed of three main issues: Life, Time, and Space. Nature not only gives me a sense of existence but also the meaning of life. Life has associations with time and space. Life means being alive in general, and it also means the life of the artist and the life of the human being. TIME is history, and it bridges past and present. Time means moments in real time, as well as psychic time which can bring moments completely separated in real time together simultaneously. SPACE is my dream. Space is not only real space; it is psychic, illusionary, and unlimited space.”